Privacy is a major driving force on this site. Although ePlays is designed to facilitate sharing of information between members who have agreed to do so (such as by auditioning for a show), members control how much information is shared, and to whom. In some cases (such as the calendar, and the role of minions and parent groups), the visibility and sharing relationships can appear complex. However it is designed to make sense in the context of the production, coordination, and marketing of a show you participate in. Our focus is on protecting your private information while allowing you to share it with other cast and crew members of these shows. We act as stewards of your personal information, not as owners. However, although this main thrust will remain the same, the details may change because the issue is complex. You acknowledge that we may change the rules, and that you will be bound by the new rules as they are developed.
When you sign up for an account on ePlays, you enter into this contract with us, and you also enter into this contract with each and every other ePlays member. The primary purpose of these contracts is to ensure that your private information is not abused, and that you do not abuse the private information of any other ePlays member.
This site is not for children. Children may not create accounts on this site. However, the parents or legal guardian of a child who is involved in a production may create a separate profile under their own account on the child's behalf. That parent or guardian shall be responsible for the child's profile. Special note: For purposes of this document, the personal information of a child that has been placed there by a parent or guardian who owns the account is considered to belong to the (adult) account owner.
We are hosted by RimuHosting, and are subject to their rules. You are too. To the best of our knowledge, their rules are compatible with ours.
ePlays collects personally identifiable information in the following ways:
- Through forms you fill out on ePlays.
- Through the standard protocols by which the internet operates. For example, when a web browser requests a page or other resource, it automatically supplies information about the originating page (if there is one), the browser's type and version number, installed options, the value stored in any cookies requested by the page, the user's operating system, the IP address of the requesting agent, and other technical information. This is the way the internet works. Some of this information may be retained in our server logs.
ePlays does not do any of the following
- We do not use any information we collect to target users for marketing purposes.
- We do not profile users based on their browsing habits. We do not profile our users at all, except to the extent that users may use the forms on the site to create profiles (resumes) of themselves (or their children who are involved in a production).
- If we hire other companies to do work on our behalf, we do not permit them to do any of these things with your personal information either.
- We do not sell or trade your personal information to any other entity.
What ePlays does do
ePlays may use personally identifiable information in the following ways, most of which pertain to the basic functioning of the site:
- To customize your view of the site: Depending on your account type and the clubs you participate in, the site may display certain features and information not visible otherwise. User preferences (such as calendar format) that you store on our servers may also be used when displaying information to you.
- To display certain parts of your personally identifiable information to the specific ePlays entities to whom you have agreed to share it. For example, you may choose to share contact information, such as your address and phone number or your availability for rehearsal, with other members of the cast and crew of a particular show you are working on. If the cast and crew changes, the actual individuals with whom this information is shared will also change to match. In addition, this information may be shared with the parent ePlays entity (for example, the theater which is mounting the show in which you are cast) in a manner intended to mimic the way such information would ordinarily be made available offline during a production. This is one of the primary purposes of the site.
- To display this information to minions of the entities to whom you have agreed to share it. These minions (if any) are individually selected by ePlays members in control of the area in question, and in general would have been selected to aid the member in maintaining that area. For example, the owner/director of a theater might designate a trusted ePlays member they know personally as a minion to perform administrative tasks on his (or her) behalf. That minion would have access to the personal information you have shared with any shows perfomed at that theater, the same way an office assistant would have access to this information offline.
- To display certain parts of your personally identifiable information to the owners and members of fan clubs that you join, and to members of your own fan club if you decide to activate it. A theater, venue, or show with which you are associated may also have an active fan club, and certain parts of your personally identifiable information would be shared with the members of that club; for example, the names of the cast might be shared to members of the fan club of a show. The decision of what to share would be made by that venue, but they could only share what you have already shared with them. This is also intended to mimic the kind of information that would be shared offline, for example, to promote your show.
- To display certain parts of your personally identifiable information to the world, should you so choose. For example, if you create a Performer Page, you can set some of the information to be public.
- To debug and improve the software underlying this service. This usage would be strictly internal.
- To facilitate criminal investigations to protect and defend ourselves and our members, should this ever become necessary.
ePlays provides tools with which you may limit or extend the sharing of the information you have supplied.
Terms and Conditions [^]
Your obligations to ePlays and to other ePlays members
As an ePlays member,
- you are responsible for the following:
- Supplying accurate registration information, and keeping it up to date.
- Choosing and safeguarding a good password.
- Abiding by the rules set up for each account type for which you apply and are approved. These rules are set by ePlays.
- Abiding by the rules of each club you join. These rules are set by the individual clubs, not by ePlays. We merely facilitate your membership in those clubs.
- you may do the following:
- Utilize contact information that has been shared with you in accordance with the wishes of the person sharing the information. No implicit permission is assumed by virtue of it being shared via ePlays; the permission (if any) is implicit in the actual, face-to-face interactions you have with the people involved.
- you should not do the following:
- Collect contact information of ePlays members and store it yourself, unless you make a reasonable effort to keep it in sync with the site. Otherwise it will become outdated, and you will not be able to detect (for example) when a member has removed himself or herself from any given list. Use club functions instead.
- you must not do the following:
- Allow any other person to use your account, or log in as you. You should use a minion instead if you need somebody else to perform ePlays tasks on your behalf. You are responsible for any activity that occurs on your account.
- Allow a person whose profile is on your account (such as your child) to have access to your account. When such a person is ready to access ePlays on their own, they should create their own account, and then you may transfer their profile from your account to theirs.
- Log in under any other member's credentials, or masquerade as any other member.
- Post false or deceptive information in any entity pages (such as Author, Venue, and Show pages) you create or manage. This includes posting credits or talents that are not true.
- Utilize any part of ePlays, including the personal information that has been shared with you, to send or facilitate spam. This includes using your fan club list outside of ePlays without the permission of those members, even for theater-related activities. However this does not preclude you from using club functions to promote your activities. Club functions respect your recipients' preferences and help keep them from receiving multple emails for the same event from different ePlays members.
- Abuse ePlays in any way. This should be clear, but if it comes to that, we will decide what constitutes abuse.
Author profiles allow a member to upload files such as audio recordings of readings of these plays so that others may download and listen to them, and perhaps consider mounting a full production in their own theater. This is the one of the primary purposes of the site.
- If you create an Author profile, you represent that...
- the plays listed and described through this profile are your original creative works, and that you hold or control the rights to publicize these works.
- you hold or control the copyright for every copyrighted file that is uploaded to ePlays.
- You may then do the following:
- Create pages under your Author profile for each of your plays.
- Upload files to ePlays, associated with these plays, up to the file storage limit we have assigned you.
- Control which category of visitor may download these files from the site.
- You are encouraged to do the following:
- Create and upload high quality audio recordings of readings of your plays.
- Upload copies of your scripts in editable (and supported) formats, so that performers using them for rehearsal can mark them up electronically, and reformat them to fit their devices and rehearsal style.
- Upload optional supporting materials for performance and marketing, to make it easy for theaters to mount your play.
- You must not do the following:
- Use this site to violate copyright.
- Use this site to distribute malware of any sort.
- Use this site to distribute pornography. Although sexual themes are often appropriate in theatrical works, this is not a porn site. We will be the final arbiter of what this means.
- Allow your minions to do any of these things.
A minion is an ePlays member who has been entrusted by another member to edit areas belonging to the granting member. The minion is granted nearly complete access to the granting member's tools for the area in question. Minionship is a position of great responsibility, and should be granted and accepted with care.
- If you designate a minion, you are responsible for the following:
- Choosing your minion(s) with care. Ensure that they are worthy of the trust you place in them.
- Confering with the potential minion about what it is you wish them to do on your behalf, and making it clear what the bounds of this authority are. This is especially important if your account is on behalf of a child. The ePlays software grants wide ability to the minion to make changes, but it is you that grants the permission, and the minion must agree to respect the bounds that you set.
- Agreeing privately on a passphrase that the minion will enter so that the ePlays software recognizes the minion when they accept minionship. This passphrase will only be used once.
- Revoking minionship if it is abused.
- If you accept minionship of another account, you are responsible for the following:
- Confering with the granting ePlays member about what it is he or she is authorizing you to do on their behalf, and remaining within those bounds. This is especially important if the account you accept minionship of is on behalf of a child.
- Respecting the privacy of any personal information your minionship gives you access to.
- ...you may then do the following:
- Make appropriate changes to the area for which you have been entrusted.
- Access information owned by or shared with the granting ePlays member's account.
- You must remain within the bounds delineated in your agreement with the granting member.
Certain account types come with the ability to activate a fan club. This is a set of ePlays members with whom you share additional information and/or access (such as calendar events, contact information, or access to files in your library). Fan clubs are closed (inactive) by default. If you activate the fan club associated with an area over which you have control, other ePlays members whom you have allowed in will have access to the information you have designated for this fan club. That is its purpose. You control the membership of this fan club and the information you share with it, and you may close it at any time.
If you join a fan club, some of your personal information may be shared with that club and/or its membership.
Certain account types come with the ability to create short announcements, such as for marketing a show you are in, which will be visible to members of your fan club. These announcements will be compiled into a personalized newsletter using the preferences of each individual member. Members may elect to receive their personalized newsletter by Email rather than waiting to visit the ePlays site.